Goal: Create an environment for job growth
The Kansas Chamber encourages government reform aimed at lowering the overall cost of state government so it is more affordable to Kansas businesses and residents through policies that:
- Promote adoption of “Lean Government” practices to transform the state into a more efficient enterprise.
- Support continued implementation of priority- or performance-based budgeting throughout all levels of state government.
- Support requirement of Governor to submit existing resources budget to the legislature before proposing tax increases.
- Support changes to the consensus revenue estimating process for increased accuracy of budget projections.
- Support targeted cost-saving measures identified in the 2016 Alvarez & Marsal efficiency study which do not negatively impact the business community.
- Establish transparency and uniformity in budgeting for all levels of government.
- Establish a “BRAC-like” process for closure or realignment of government functions and agencies.
- Support outsourcing state government functions to the private sector while maintaining needed services and lowering the cost of doing business in Kansas.
- Establish a framework to encourage and incent the realignment of state and local units of government.
- Transition the State’s pension plan (KPERS) from a Defined Benefit Plan to a Defined Contribution Plan.
- Oppose use of public funds to bring litigation in pursuit of more public funding.
- Oppose state or local government diversion of taxes or fees away from statutory purpose to fund general government.