Goal: Promote fairness, reduce liability
The Kansas Chamber supports efforts to improve the legal climate in Kansas by reducing incentives for litigation that disproportionately award plaintiffs and will support legislative efforts to:
- Support the current cap for settlements awarded for non-economic damages
- Modify the collateral source rule to allow all benefits received for damages to be admissible evidence
- Support amendments to the Code of Civil Procedure to enable assessment of attorney fees against the losing party in a lawsuit under appropriate circumstances.
- Reform state standards for admissible expert evidence to mirror federal rule in order to reduce the impact of junk science on court judgments
- Modify the Restraint of Trade Act to reflect today’s marketplace and reduce incentives to bring frivolous lawsuits against Kansas businesses