01 Aug 2022 Coolest Thing Made In Kansas Competition Kicks Off
Posted at 20:57h in News
Contest to highlight Kansas manufacturers.
Topeka, KAN. – The Kansas Manufacturing Council (KMC), an affiliated program of the Kansas Chamber, is looking for the Coolest Thing Made In Kansas.
Presented by FORVIS, this competition was launched by KMC in 2020 to promote and elevate Kansas manufacturers and to highlight products developed and produced in Kansas and distributed across the U.S. and internationally.
“The Kansas Manufacturing Council’s annual contest showcases Kansas’s wide variety of manufacturers that keep our state’s economy strong and our communities growing. It’s with great pride that KMC supports manufacturing technology and integration to embrace the future,” said Brandie McPherson, KMC Executive Director.
Any product that is made in Kansas qualifies for the competition. There are two categories in this year’s competition: People’s Choice and Coolest Innovation.
The People’s Choice contest begins with product nominations and the first round of voting. The top 16 vote-getters will move on to a bracket-style tournament where they will compete in head-to-head match-ups. The ones that receive the most votes in each match-up will advance to the next round, moving one step closer to winning the ultimate prize – being named the People’s Choice Coolest Thing Made in Kansas.
The Coolest Innovation contest will highlight the many ways Kansas manufacturers research and develop new products and work to improve products to address crucial challenges. A panel of expert judges will review and score questionnaires completed by the companies regarding their nominated products. The top four scoring products will be invited to present in-person to the expert panel on October 12th at the Coolest Celebration Reception. The judges will choose the winning product based on a criteria that includes its impact on the challenge it solves as well as the business, its employees, and customers.
Winners for both categories will be announced during the Kansas Manufacturing Summit on Thursday, October 13, 2022 at the Kansas Star Casino and Event Center.
“FORVIS is fortunate to have the opportunity to work and engage with manufacturers across Kansas and is able to see first-hand the research, development and ultimate success of innovative products,” said Jennifer Wold, FORVIS Commercial Products Industry Partner. “We are excited to sponsor this competition and provide manufacturers a platform to showcase their products and promote the entrepreneurial spirit of Kansas manufacturers and the solutions they are bringing to the market.”
Click here to nominate your favorite Kansas-made product. Nominations for the 2022 contest close on August 26th at midnight CT.
2022 Competition Details
- Everyone is encouraged to nominate their favorite products. There is no limit to the number of product nominations per person.
- Products nominated can be from any sector of the state’s manufacturing industry.
- The company does not have to be headquartered in Kansas but the product must be manufactured in a Kansas-based facility.
- The product must be made using a manufacturing process.
- The Kansas Manufacturing Council will review each nomination to ensure these requirements are met. If for any reason the nomination does not meet these requirements, the nominator will be notified.
- Companies may only have one product featured in the top four, so only one product nomination per company is encouraged.
- Winning companies are prohibited from participating in the contest for one year, while each winning product is indefinitely prohibited from being nominated again.
- Companies with products nominated will be notified by the Kansas Manufacturing Council.
- Products can be nominated for both categories but may only be in one of the category’s finals.
Voting Rules for People’s Choice contest
- Voting is open to the public. A voter may vote once per day.
- The number of votes received will be reset at the beginning of each round.
- The 16 nominated products who receive the most votes will advance to the bracket-style tournament.
- The products receiving the highest number of votes in their head-to-head match-ups during each voting period will advance to the next round.
- The final round of final four (4) will be decided by popular vote.
2022 People’s Choice Contest Calendar
- Aug. 1st – Aug. 26th: Submit Nominations
- Aug. 30th – Sept. 16th: Vote for favorite nominated products
- Sept. 19th – Sept. 25th: Announce Tournament Bracket of 16, open voting
- Sept. 26th – Oct. 2nd: Announce Bracket of 8, open voting
- Oct. 3rd – Oct. 11th: Announce Final Round, open voting
- Oct. 12th: Coolest Celebration Reception – all 16 products/companies invited
- Oct. 13th: Announce People’s Choice 2022 Coolest Thing
2022 Coolest Innovation Contest Calendar
- Aug. 1st – Aug. 26th: Submit Nominations
- Aug. 28th – Sept. 2nd: Nominated products submit Innovation questionnaires
- Sept. 20th: Announce Innovation award finalists
- Oct. 12th: Innovation ward finalists present to judges
- Oct. 13th: Announce Innovation award winner